Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Eating Crow

So, it's taken me so long to post after the North Vernon race b/c I just finished eating all that crow. If you recall, I sent an e-mail with the following goals:

1) Do not let Matt Battin lap me during a race.
2) I must catch Danny G at some point in the race—game on, Danny!
3) Learn Denny’s secret to success (i.e. befriend Martha).

As far as Matt NOT passing me, well......he was SMOKING FAST on that course and came away with a big "W." He went around me so fast - and early - I might add. So, goal # 1 - FAIL.

By the time Matt passed me, I was giving up on goal #2 as my chain had already come off 5 times. That's too bad b/c the legs felt good. After the 6th time, I called it a day as my mental frustration exceeded my limits. Better racers would have stuck it out in one gear. Admittedly, I like my gears; in fact, I want more. My 1x9 is truly testing my legs on some courses. I have no shame announcing I want my granny back. (Or a 2x9 as in Meredith's new setup? Note to self: ask her how she likes it.) So, #2 = FAIL.

Number 3 proved to be a lot easier than I thought. I took the direct approach with Martha and asked about the secret of Denny's success. I know this blog can be accessed by anyone in the world, but I'm going to tell anyway.

"Never grow old."

It's that easy.

The team suffered some injuries prior to the big race: broken fingers, knee strains, ankle recoveries, etc. But everyone waltzed up to the start line to give it his/her best. Additionally, Larry did the Stoopid run the day before.

So, I left early and didn't get everyone's stories, but I'm pretty sure I missed out on Lindsay's peanut butter & chocolate bars. DRAT. Perhaps next time when I meet more than 1 of my goals.


Great job team on overcome obstacles and finishing strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment